Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Monday, September 27, 2004

The Civil Aviation Authority strike again

As some of you know, in a couple of weeks I will be taking a quick trip to the US :)

What better way to use up 8 hours of flying time than some solid knitting, I thought to myself. So I sent BA a quick e.mail to make sure it would be OK to take my knitting needles in my hand luggage, as I knew that there were some problems with that straight after 9/11.

This is the response I got:

"Dear Ms Atropos,

Recent Government directives have increased security activity at airports worldwide. BA is committed to remaining a safe and secure airline, the safety of our passengers, crew and aircraft is paramount. The normal security measures applied to aircraft departing from the UK and to UK registered airlines operating worldwide are amongst the highest in the world.

The following items are strictly forbidden to be carried on board the cabin of any BA aircraft:

Toy or replica guns, household cutlery, catapults, steel nail files, knives with any length blade, razor blades (non-safety), paper knives, darts, sporting bats/clubs, knitting needles, billiard/snooker/pool cues, darts, catapults, scissors of any size, tradesmen's tools, corkscrews with blades attached, hypodermic syringes (except with written evidence of medical need), any other article which the airport authority considers might be used, or could be adapted, for causing injury or incapacitation of a person.

If you are carrying any of the above items (with the exception of hypodermic needles when proven to have a medical need for it/them) will be asked to place it in their hold baggage/suitcase. If you only have hand baggage then you will be asked to hand over the restricted item for disposal by British Airways. "

This is what I wrote in response:

"Dear Crazy Airline People,

Curses! You have foiled my evil plans. I may look like a mild-mannered 30-something chartered accountant but you have uncovered my cunning super villain plot to take over the world using only 2mm knitting needles. I will now be forced to resort to Plan B which involves global domination through the use of a pair of stilleto heels and the contents of my pencil case, neither of which I see are on your prohibited list.

Mwa ha ha

Mwa ha,

Yours sincerely,

Atropos"

Well, to be truthful that's what I wanted to write in response. Anyone who thinks it's possible to threaten the security of a plane with a pair of Addi Turbos might not see the funny side of the above I imagine. So it looks like it's the inflight movie for me *le sigh*

Knitting wise I decided to take a break from socks and blankets, and am currently racing through a felted bag in the following yarn:


Noro Kureyon 181 Posted by Hello

It's for RLBF for Christmas. I've based it on the Booga Bag pattern but changed the dimensions so it should come out a slightly more practical size. If I have enough yarn left I might add Sophie's handles instead of the normal Booga Bag ones just to make a change. I do love these projects. It's so nice just to knit and knit, watching the stripes form and always thinking "just a little bit more and then I'll *insert chore that I am supposed to be doing instead of knitting*". Fun knitting is good knitting in my book.

In other more curious news, my sidebar seems to have disappeared. I hope this isn't permanent - I was just getting it the way I liked it. Anyone have any ideas as to where it might have got to? And while I'm on the subject, does anyone know where to get those nifty % completion bars for works in progress? I fancy installing those next.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jaimi said...

Lucky for me they don't seem to forbid pencils, hairsticks, or chopsticks! I don't think I could survive an 8 hour plane ride without knitting...I mean, there's only so long you can talk to your traveling companion, right?

11:50 pm

 
Blogger eyeleen said...

I had no idea there were so many things on the restricted list. If you bring your yarn, you can always try crochet.

as for fun blog stuff check out Anna Knits.

2:45 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They must have a serious problem with Catapults!

What a bummer about the knitting needles.

Alyx
http://stringtheoryfiberarts.typepad.com

2:55 am

 
Blogger Axelle said...

PSSSSST! Yeh didna hear nuthin fro me, right? But ahm tellin yeh, dere's a lil' secret: small bamboo circs (like less than 4mm) and don' take 'em out 'til the first inflight movie's half done.

'course I'm mought but a rebel an' a rabble-rouser, so don' mind me. The pirate in me turns a blind eye. But you do as you please. ;)

10:41 pm

 
Blogger Axelle said...

[/Hook on knitting]

You could always put rubber erasers on two No. 2 pencils and knit a Booga Bag with those. They're about the same size as US 10 1/2s.

In fact, I'd love to see someone knit a huge mohair scarf with Kidsilk Haze and two pencils!

10:44 pm

 
Blogger Atropos said...

eyeleen - crochet is an idea. Hopefully BA would accept the fact that I'm going to have a hard time disembowelling the nearest air stewardess with a crochet hook. Unfortunately it's not something I've ever learned how to do. Maybe these 8 hours are a good time to start though...

Axe - sadly my Ravenclaw sense of orderliness sometimes finds it difficult to disregard the rules, however stupid they may be. I think I would need a lot of practice if I was ever going to be a reasonable pirate. Perhaps I could get lessons from Cap'n Jack (after he's had a bath, of course) .....

9:34 am

 
Blogger Jaimi said...

Axelle--that will be a wonderful project on the plane on my way back from the Land of Rowan in January! Hmm, what color?

7:26 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home