Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

In which Atropos goes yarn shopping

I went into town for a spot of yarn purchasing on Saturday and came back with.... THIS



Looks exciting, doesn't it? But for once I was a good girl, because all that lovely Liberty bag contained was....THIS



Yep. Just one ball of Regia sock wool. I hope you're admiring my powers of self restraint when it comes to stocking up my yarn stash :whistles innocently:

Why just one ball, when it takes 2 balls of Regia to knit a pair of adult socks I hear you cry. Well it's a long story which I will save for another post. So that's it. Nothing more to see here. Certainly not another picture of rather a lot more yarn that someone may have bought at John Lewis. I couldn't possibly comment (or at least not within Mr A's earshot).


Posted by Hello

You didn't really think I'd go yarn shopping and just come back with 1 ball did you? No - I thought not.

Anyway, what we have here (L-R) is seven balls of Rowan wool cotton which is in the process of being transformed into a baby blanket for my new nephew / niece who is due to arrive some time in early December, some Cygnet double knit superwash which is destined to become "Denis the Menace" socks for Mr A and some Noro Kureyon #124 for a bag for my RL best friend. I was particularly pleased to find the Kureyon as RLBF had her heart set on this particular colour and I have been scouring UK internet sites to try and track some down for some time. Actually finding it on the shelves in John Lewis nearly made me do a happy yarn dance right there in the middle of the haberdashery department. Luckily for all concerned I managed to restrain myself.

The eagle eyed among you will notice that some of the wool cotton has already had the ball bands removed in this picture. There is a sorry cautionary tale behind that little detail, in which I learn that it is not always a good idea to knit in the dark while watching a film, but again I'll save the details for later in the week.

Off to add a few more links to my sidebar now :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jaimi said...

Okay, that Liberty bag is the coolest. I must go. Will you be around anytime between Dec 27 and Jan 5? That's when the Boy and I will be in London...we should meet up and knit (or stash-enhance *grin*)

1:48 am

 
Blogger Jen said...

Baby blanket, huh? Would you care to share where you found the pattern? I just might be knitting one in the near future. ;)

That colorway of Kureyon is beautiful, btw. I don't know that I've seen it before but it looks perfect for a winter Booga!

2:18 am

 
Blogger Axelle said...

You really are made of stronger stuff than I am if you could emerge from Liberty's with only ONE BALL OF YARN! :) But I feel better seeing that your yarn excursion didn't stop there. ;)

The baby blanket colours look so soft and soothing. I can't wait to see it knit. Do you have a particular pattern in mind?

And the Noro looks wonderful. I don't think I've come across that particular colour, but Jen's right, it should be perfect for the season!

4:33 am

 
Blogger Atropos said...

Jaimi - my Christmas plans are all a little bit vague at the moment as they depend on sorting out the house purchase that we are currently in the middle of. Can I let you know my movements nearer the time?

Axe & Jen - I am using a very simple pattern that I adapted from a Debbie Bliss book that I gave my mother in law for her birthday. The blanket basically has a garter stitch border round all four sides in the darker blue and a large central panel of moss stitch in the lighter shade. The moss stitch is great because it comes out soft and nubbly and also means that the blanket is essentially reversable. I will post pics later in the week once I have a slightly more respectable WIP to show you all.

1:40 pm

 
Blogger brooke said...

*dies at fabulous yarn*
Oh I'm so jealous! Having placed myself on a severe yarn diet I will just have to survive by looking at your lovely yarns.
You must tell us your wool cotton yarn tales someday won't you? :P

11:23 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home