Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Friday, September 17, 2004

How long is it possible for one woman's craft queue to be?

When I went away last weekend, one of my friends brought Rowan 34 with her. I managed to prize it out of her fingers long enough for a browse and ended up falling in love with two projects. I would love to make both of these some time this autumn / winter but the end of my craft queue is so far away from my needles that they'll be lucky to make it up to the top before 2006.

(Unless of course they jump the queue - heh, heh, heh)

First up is this wonderful cardigan in Rowan Felted Tweed and Kidsilk Haze. I just love the frills around the cuff. Smart enough for work but cozy for around the house, I thought.



I can see I am going to have fun choosing what colours to do this in. I quite like the combination that they have used in the pattern actually (which is KSH - 588 Drab and FT 147 Dragon). But I am very drawn to FT 152 Watery. The question is what to pair this with. KSH 601 Khaki maybe? Or 605 Smoke? Hhm. Looks like I shall have to make yet another 'research' trip to John Lewis to compare yarn shades.

That is bound to be a great hardship ;)

The only thing that I am not entirely enamoured with when it comes to this pattern is its name. She answers to "Elfin", apparently. Sadly I passed the 'elfin' stage at the age of about 12 and currently inhabit the 'slightly plump' category. Well, as long as nobody rechristens her "Elephantine" I think I can probably live with it.

The other pattern I fell in love with was this Birch shawl, again in Kidsilk Haze. Yeah, I know, everyone's knitting this. But that's no reason that I can't knit it as well, right?


Birch Posted by Hello

I think I might try and adapt the pattern to make it a rectangular wrap rather than a triangular shawl, as that somehow seems more practical. I'd love to knit this for my grandmother for Christmas, maybe in KSH 589 Majestic, or KSH581 Meadow. The only question is whether or not I'd have the stamina afterwards to knit it again for myself. I think mine might have to be in KSH 585 Nightly :)

I need more knitting hours in the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger brooke said...

Anything is worth knitting if it is in kidsilk haze.
The cardigan is great - it certainly looks cozy and snuggly.

3:01 am

 
Blogger Axelle said...

I was just going to say that Nightly looks like an amazing colour!

I love that cardigan, too! *sigh* I suppose there's always room in the queue for another stunner. :) I think maybe Smoke or Wicked would complement the Watery as soft edging, but you'll be able to tell better once you're in the shop. I know it's going to look fabulous, whichever colours you choose! (Just a word of caution, though. Try doing a search for knit bloggers who did Elfin this spring. There was an Elfin knitalong somewhere and I think I remember that some people had issues with the pattern.)

4:18 am

 
Blogger Atropos said...

Thanks for the heads up about the knitalong, Axe. I don't mind learning from my mistakes but it's always nice to learn from those made by other people before you actually go wrong yourself :)

9:18 am

 
Blogger Jen said...

Great projects! I can see why they might jump up in your queue.

I particularly like the cardigan for the same reasons you mentioned. I really like a piece that is versatile. :)

11:26 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home