Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Thursday, September 02, 2004

In which the folly of knitting in the dark is uncovered

Not too much knitting progress to report for this weekend due to the fact I was camping in a field with 17,000 other people for most of it. So I thought I would show where I was up to on my latest knit while watching the TV project. It's a baby blanket I am knitting for my new nephew/niece due in December



The pattern is 'borrowed' from a Debbie Bliss book that I was flicking through the last time I was in John Lewis looking at the yarn. It's basically a moss stitch panel in the centre in pale grey-blue with a darker blue garter stitch border (3 stitches and 4 rows wide). The yarn is Rowan wool cotton, which is lovely and soft. The moss stitch is also pleasingly nubbly, and the use of only moss and garter stitches makes the blanket reversable. I'm pleased what I've made so far but it is taking quite a while. I'm going to need to watch lots of films in the run up to Christmas to get this one finished in time.



But what has this got to do with knitting in the dark, I hear you ask? Well, I started this blanket in a fit of excitement on the very same day that I bought the wool, a couple of Saturdays ago. Mr A & I were just sitting down to watch a couple of films, which seemed like the perfect time to produce the first couple of inches, which I duly did. Mr A likes to watch films in the dark, but I was sure that wouldn't be a problem with such a simple pattern so I carried on regardless. Sadly I had to pay for it the next day. When I say this blanket is reversible, of course what I mean is 'practically reversible'. You can see from the picture below that you do get a little bit of interweaving of the two yarn colours on the blanket's wrong side as you twist the two yarns together to change from one to the other.


Posted by Hello

In my enthusiasm I had forgotten to allow for this, and had the crossover for the bottom edge on one side of the blanket and the crossovers for the side edges on the other. Doh!

I only noticed this on Sunday morning when I came to look at my work in the daylight. I looked and looked. And then unravelled the whole thing because I couldn't bear it. I reknit everything I had done later that day but it's still a bit frustrating. You live and learn I suppose :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I hate frogging because of a silly mistake I've made-and I make far too many of them for my own good. So, I feel your pain. :)

The blanket looks beautiful, especially in the colors you've chosen. I've decided I love moss stitch. It is so simple, yet produces such an interesting pattern. I'd like to knit more things with it.

3:45 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel your pain. It's good you went back right away and re-knit. You've chosen a wonderful pattern.

5:21 pm

 
Blogger Axelle said...

Eeep! Add me to the list of anti-froggers, but boy do I feel your pain. I make those mistakes too (though mine, honestly, are much worse) when I knit in the dark or before falling asleep. It's like painting your nails and then dozing off to find that your once-pristine nail enamel has been grooved beyond recognition. Grrrr.

But the blanket is going to be beautiful; that much is evident already. I love the colours you've chosen. (though I'm not surprised by them. :P )

7:33 pm

 
Blogger eyeleen said...

It always seems so peaceful when you knit in the dark, at least until you see your handiwork in the bright light of morning and you rip back.

I love the pattern you've chosen. Very subtle.


***
FYI, I'm a INTJ, too. :)

4:11 am

 
Blogger Atropos said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'm normally drawn to complex patterns and colours like a moth to the flame (hence my wish to knit the Glenor throw NOW) but I wanted this to be a bit simpler and I'm really pleased with how it's coming along.

Axe - yeah, I know. Blues again. But they're nice blues, aren't they? I have bought sone bright red wool to make socks with though you know :)

eyeleen - I think blogging and the Internet in general suits INTJ's. There certainly seem to be more of us here than there are in the general population (I can't remember the exact percentages but it's not that common a combination). Anyway, another one is always welcome here.

10:42 am

 
Blogger brooke said...

The blanket looks marvelous.
I, too, have nearly fallen asleep and/or knitted in a dim room only to discover a huge mistake. I hate ripping it all out, but sometimes it must be done.
Just last night I discovered a dropped stitch on my PBS about 8 rows down. Arg!

1:24 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home