Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Wonders will never cease!

It's a miracle! My camera, laptop and I are on speaking terms again. This makes me very happy. Better yet I managed to persuade Mr A to take some new pictures to replace the blue tinted ones I posted about on Monday so you get to see not only my FO's but also me with my head cut off. How lucky you are.

So, without further ado I present my very own version of Clapotis.


Clapotis complet

Isn't she lovely? And versatile too.


Is it a scarf? Is it a wrap?

I have to say that I love pretty much everything about this scarf. I love how soft and snuggly it is. I love the fact that I can wear it either around my neck or round my shoulders. I love how warm it keeps me. And I love, love, love the colour combinations. Want a closer look?


It's me in yarn form :)

I used almost 3 skeins of Axelle's wonderful sport weight cashmere in this project, and modified the pattern to add two extra repeats in the straight section of the scarf making her a little longer than the original. I had plenty of yarn to do this. In fact it's possible that I might have enough yarn left over to have added another repeat but I think it would have been a close run thing. And what colourway did I use? Why,Atropos of course! What other choice could there be?

For my second FO I present ... wait for it .... another SCARF. I don't know why any of you are surprised at that. I have confessed my scarf problem on these pages before and I am learning to live with it. Of course, having scarves like these does help.


Debbie Bliss Maya ribbed scarf

So this is a basic K3 P3 rib scarf in Debbie Bliss Maya picked up on whim on one of my visits to John Lewis. This is another yarn that I absolutely love. The colours are fantastic (a bit more plums and reds than you see here - I think my camera was struggling with the colour reproduction) and it's unbelievably snuggly even though it's 100% wool. It's apparently made by the same people that make Manos. To which all I can say is that I need to get myself some Manos. Lots of it. And soon, too. Will have to do some research and find somewhere that is prepared to ship it to me.

Anyway, getting back to the FO, I used 4 skeins to make this project, including using a good part of the last one to make a fringe. This makes for a long scarf, as you can see from the first picture. I would guess one that's about 6 feet long in total although I haven't measured it. I can certainly wrap it twice around my neck to keep the cold out. And have I mentioned the fringe? I'm really proud of that:


Classy looking fringe

As you can see I've included pieces of satin ribbon in the fringe, blatently ripping off the idea from a shop bought scarf that my brother's girl friend was wearing at Christmas. I think it works well, don't you? I like the contrast of the textures and it also adds a little weight to the fringe, making the scarf hang nicely. The only slightly sour note in the whole process was discovering that you can't buy satin ribbon by the metre in John Lewis's any more. Nope - it all comes prewrapped on rolls of 5 or 10 metres. WTF? I have to say I think that's a move in the wrong direction. I see a new ribbon supplier in my future.

Anyway, I leave you with a gratuitous close up of the ribbing. Ta da!


Yummy yarn Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Clapotis !
I like the first pic - stylishly draped over shoulders. :0)


Emma.
[www.emma.prettyposies.com]

11:49 pm

 
Blogger Toni said...

Both are lovely! I've used Manos before but not the Maya. Glad to know they're by the same peeps. Coincindentally I also bought some of Axelle's cashmere and am working, oh so slowly, on a lacy scarf.

5:34 am

 
Blogger brooke said...

Ooooo! So lovely!
Your clapotis is fantastic! I'm seriously considering making one for myself now. :D

Your scarf is beautiful - I love the detail of the satin ribbon. It adds that touch of class and sophistication.
Well done!!

12:30 am

 
Blogger eyeleen said...

Gorgeous Clapotis! and the Atropos colorway is beautiful!!

I love the ribbon fringe on your scarf, very classy indeed.

3:01 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home