Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Christmas - the aftermath

Well, I did it. The last time I posted I really didn't think it was humanly possible, but I finished my Christmas knitting in time to give everything away, even though I was sewing a lining into the Booga bag I made for RLBF in the car on the way to her house. And everyone loved everything so I am feeling highly accomplished and more than slightly smug.

But not that smug, as my camera and I are still locked in mortal combat so there will be no pictures of my FO for a few days yet. Apparently whilst my camera and computer are in Norfolk enjoying a splendid English rural Christmas, the vital cable to connect the two has stayed in London for the duration. Curses! But never fear - I will wrestle my pictures out of the camera as soon as it and the cable are reunited. Who knew this could be so complex?

Anyway, in lieu of pictures of this year's knitted gifts I thought I would talk about what knitting-related gifts my lovely friends and family bought for me. I got a really good haul, which could carry me through knitting for 2005 and beyond. Look -

Mr A's brother and his wife got me this:


Folk Socks by Nancy Bush

This is a great book for the sock knitter who wants a new challenge. There's lots of technical resources in terms of new heel turns and toe shapings and the patterns are an order of magnitude more tricky that anything I have attempted to date. But they look so fabulous when they're done that I'm itching to get something out of my book on this needles. Intarsia socks hold no fear for me! (Well, not until I've cast on, anyway). I see more socks in my future.

My mum & dad got me this:


Knitting on the Edge by Nicky Epstein

This is a fantastic reference book for the intermediate knitter who is starting to design their own patterns or to make serious modifications to existing ones. It contains hundreds of different ideas for edging garments with very clear instructions and photographs for each one. There are also a small number of projects, but the best thing about this book is the inspiriation it contains to enable you to design your own projects. I'm certain to have fun with this one.

My brother and his girlfriend got me this:


Scarf Style by Pam Allen Posted by Hello

Words cannot express how much I *heart* this book. Every single project is interesting and there are 2 or 3 that nearly had me drooling on the page. This, combined with the scarf fetish, is just pure indulgence.

I also got a couple of other knit-related things, including a fantastic pattern-a-day calendar from Axelle and a knifty pair of torch spectacles from Mr A so that I can knit on long evening car journeys without shining a torch all around the car and blinding him. I cannot say that they are sartorially elegant, but I'm sure they'll do the trick. Didn't I do well? I can't believe it really - I certainly don't deserve it but I am really lucky to have such thoughtful, generous friends and family. Thanks everyone :)

3 Comments:

Blogger brooke said...

Ooooo! What fabulous gifts!
Knitting on the Edge looks marvelous! I came across it recently whilst surfing on Amazon - and item for my wish list perhaps? I'm sure you'll love it!

4:23 am

 
Blogger eyeleen said...

Wow, Congrats on getting all the xmas knitting done. I *heart* scarf style as well. Everything in there is just so fabulous. Your family has excellent taste in knitting books. ;-)

5:04 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Atropos, I am just passing through researching christmas pictures and spotted your post called Christmas - the aftermath. I found it and interesting and informative read and I just though I'd say so. Catch you again another time go to go looking for christmas pictures as well. Enjoy blogging - John

12:08 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home