Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Friday, November 12, 2004

Knittingdipity

You know, one of the things that I like best about knitting is the whole "what goes around comes around" part of it. I love the way knitters exchange ideas and yarn in some kind of huge international swap-meet and use them to make creative original things. I present a recent example of what I'm talking about from my own experience.

Remember when I went off on a hunt for rug cotton and came home from John Lewis with three skeins of this?


Debbie Bliss Maya

You will remember that I didn't really know what I was going to do with it, but thought I might use it for Clapotis.

Well, I'm still going to make Clapotis, but I'm going to use some of Axelle's yarn to do it. The Atropos colourway in fact. How's a gal supposed to resist yarn that's named after her? So what to do with the Debbie Bliss?

Well, I went wandering round the internet for inspiration and came across a copy of her new book, which is almost entirely devoted to patterns for Maya yarn.


Ribby scarf

I didn't even need to look at the pictures inside - I just fell in love with the scarf on the front cover. (Yes, I have a scarf problem. And?) It's starting to get cold here and a lovely purple speckly ribbed scarf will be just the thing to keep my neck warm come December. But I'm not planning on buying the book just for that pattern because I've already knitted a ribbed scarf from Noro Kureyon 70, so I can use the pattern from that.


Kureyon 70 ribbed scarf

I gave this to my sister in law for her birthday at the end of the month and she loves it. But not as much as my nephew Theo, who keeps stroking it and going "Oooh" at all the different colours.

Inspired by this, my mother in law knitted Theo a hat from this Debbie Bliss pattern, but out of Kureyon 92.


DB hat

And where did she get the Kureyon? I had it left over from my Rosedale and had given it to her because she wanted to make a Booga Bag :)


Rosedale in Kureyon 92 Posted by Hello

So there we have it - three knitters interact and projects abound. None of them are exactly what they started out as, but they all have a bit of knittingdipity :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a cool post. i love that! and your projects are fantastic.
froggyknits.com

1:33 am

 
Blogger eyeleen said...

Knittingdipity an excellent word. Wonderfully apt. Theo sounds adorable.

4:39 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home