Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Friday, January 28, 2005

Secret Pals 4

Well, I've signed up for Secret Pals 4 in a fit of enthusiasm and excitement. I'm not a natural 'joiner' but I thought that given my recent post about the generosity of spirit of the knitting community, the least I could do would be to help share the love, right? So here are my answers to the Secret Pal questionnaire - good luck Secret Pal, wherever you are! Here's hoping that the following is of some use to you.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I would love the answer to this question to be no. But sadly it is yes. I have tried knitting with the British equivalent of Red Heart. It's fine for knitting for kids and little fun projects. But I would never choose it for something for myself. Sorry.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

Nope. I have one crochet hook that I regard with deep suspicion and use solely for fringing the many scarves that I currently seem to be fixated with. I do feel that I should teach myself how to do it sometime though. Spinning doesn't interest me at all for some reason. I think it's because knitting for me is more product than process.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

Not allergic per se, but am a fairly rabid non-smoker and don't particularly like overpowering smells of any nature. Other than that, bring it on.

4. How long have you been knitting?

I learned how to knit when I was about 6 I think. I had a fairly serious spate of it in my early teens which involved producing pastel baby cardigans for various infants of my acquaintance but I only picked my needles back up in earnest about 18 months ago.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do, but it's full of really obscure things so I'm not going to link it here :)

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I'm not wild about things that smell for no good reason, if you see what I mean. Or things with obviously artificial smells. But I like natural scents like citrus and lavender. And I have some vanilla L'Occitaine bubble bath that makes me smell of cake that I am particularly fond of.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Nope. I am the queen of savoury. Give me something like cheese or olives over chocolate any day of the week.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I am fairly proficient at needlepoint, although that is a bit on the back burner at the moment. I am also a keen amateur photographer and I write when I can find the time to do so. My main creative outlet other than knitting is music though. I sing in a choir and am trying to get to do more concerts with other groups because I love it so much.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I can certainly manage MP3's because I have a husband who is a techno geek. In terms of what I like, my tastes are pretty eclectic. A good slab of English folk & roots music, combined with a certain amount of 'world' stuff, plenty of classical, some classic jazz and a varied selection of rock and pop probably covers it. I currently have Rufus Wainwright, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Eliza Carthy, Dinah Shore, U2, Julie Lee, Union Station, Mozart's C Minor Mass and Appalachian Spring sat in a pile on top of my CD player if that's any help.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?

I naturally gravitate towards autumn colours - chocolate brown, slubby greens, all kinds of purple, bluey greys, that kind of thing. Red makes me look like death warmed up so I actively avoid it. As does really bright blue. I have very pale skin.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

It's just me & my husband of 10 years, Mr A. No pets as we currently commute between 2 houses.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

To use my working life to advance things that I believe to be true and important, and other than that to follow my bliss (as they say).

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I have a bit of a thing about Koigu. I also like Noro Silk Garden and Debbie Bliss's Alpaca Silk and Maya. Told you I was a yarn snob.

14. What fibres do you absolutely *not* like?

Not an acrylic fan. Also yet to conceive of a good purpose for chenille or eyelash yarn but I guess I could be persuaded.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Socks and scarves. I only learnt how to knit socks about 6 months ago so it still seems like a minor miracle that I can actually knit around a corner. Scarves & I just like each other. What can I say?

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

My favourite patterns in the last 12 months (ie ones I would consider knitting again) were Rosedale & Clapotis, both from the knitty archives.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Red & black stripy socks for my husband to a pattern that I am making up as I go along and the Glenora throw in Mission Falls. Click the link on my sidebar if you want to see my progress on that one. I should have finished it really but i have currently misplaced the pattern in my recent move. Doh!

18. What do you think about ponchos?

I have nothing against them per se. However I do not believe that they are fundamentally suited to people of my body type, ie fairly voluptuous and curvy. It's something to do with having that huge point hovering over the backside I think.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Circs. Every time.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

To be honest I'm not that fussed. Although I haven't really tried our bamboo needles properly so maybe they are a revelation waiting to happen.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Yep. Definitely.

22. How did you learn to knit?

My mum taught me. Thanks, mum!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

About 6 months I think. I only have 2 that I haven't been knitting regularly for a while and one of those is the Glenora Throw where I've misplaced the pattern - I don't think that's too bad, is it?

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

What a strange question. Not sure that I have a particularly strong preference in either category to be honest.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

I like Christmas Eve. I love the sense of waiting and preparation for the next day.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Nope. Have been making a serious effort to declutter over the last few years so collections are definitely not on the agenda.

1 Comments:

Blogger eyeleen said...

I hope you have a great time with your Secret Pal.

2:35 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home