Welcome to the home of my musings about knitting :)

Monday, April 04, 2005

OMG, I feel like jumping out of my bath and running down the street naked!

Today I have had a true Eureka moment.

Since I last wrote I have been fretting about my Tempting disaster. Yes, my weight loss will account for some of the difference in sizing, but surely not the handfuls of spare fabric that I was left with when I tried it on last night? And given that the next thing I want to knit is the Shapely Tank from White Lies it seemed to me that it would be worth doing a bit of research to crack my seeming inability to get a fitted sweater to actually, you know, fit me.

So I did a bit more Googling, read lots of knitblogs, and came across a vital piece of advice from the Shapely Tank KAL. Apparently most knitting and sewing patterns are sized for a B cup. So if your boobs are more on the ample side cupwise rather than measuring around your full bust to determine what size to make you should measure higher up - basically under your armpits. Then you deal with the extra boobage either through the use of short rows a la Shapely Tank or via the inherent nature of the fabric a la Tempting.

It's so simple when you think about it I really can't believe I hadn't worked it out before. Now me & my 34D's can return to the Tempting fray with confidence that I might actually be able to get some wear out of the finished product.

*dances the happy dance of a better educated knitter*

2 Comments:

Blogger eyeleen said...

Sweater patterns are always somewhat confusing, because my body proportions never seem to match. Good luck with the resizing.

3:10 am

 
Blogger brooke said...

It's so simple.
Yet, I didn't know that! No wonder I've always had fit problems with my sweaters. *feels sheepish*

Good luck with the resizing. I can't wait to see the results!!

10:01 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home